Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Beginning

Hello friends, well-wishers, and passers-by. My name is Dylan and I'm hard-wired to write about any and all events that come into my life. Whether I write within the context of a story or as an actual witness depends on the event, but generally, my goal as a writer is to better understand myself and the many different people that live in our world. Earlier this year, at the end of February, I felt God calling me to go across the country and document those experiencing poverty within America. Specifically, I feel led to talk with them, get their life stories, take their pictures (with permission, of course), and compile it all into a book. This blog will be the genesis of the book and will document all of the day's triumphs and struggles. One can expect writings, babblings, pictures, video (hopefully), and all around interesting stuff from this blog.

Truthfully, I don't know what to expect from my experiences because I am not the typical person to do this. I'm not very outgoing, and I certainly don't approach random people simply to talk with them. I don't typically take large leaps of faith, hoping that God will provide every step of the way. I have no car, very little money, and only a fraction of an idea as to how I will reach my many destinations. I've been raised in the school of Western thinking, which says, "Have a plan and stick to it." I enjoy having a plan, frankly, but in this situation, God's saying, "Here's your plan: stick to Me." Thankfully, while I am scared and excited and confused as to why God would choose me for this, I trust Him to provide for me more than I would ever trust the world.

While I am approaching this project as a Christian called by God, I don't want to limit my audience. Whether or not you, the reader, believe that a person can even be called by God is not the point. Regardless of one's faith, I believe that Americans need to be reminded that there are people in this country that deserve better. My goal is to complete a book that treats the poverty-stricken of America as human beings who deserve dignity and respect. Whether or not those experiencing poverty want help is their choice, of course, and I am aware that some of them do not seek the help we might like to give them. There are just as many, however, who are looking for a way out of poverty and sleeping outside. Since those who desire release from poverty are usually lumped in with those who are content, the former's voices generally go unheard and theirs' are the voices I'd like to bring to the limelight.

Despite what the last paragraph may imply, I am not a preachy person. To me, there's nothing more vile than a person trying to preach the love of Jesus Christ with a battering ram. Likewise, I want to present people as people, not simple charity cases. I'm sure that, as I discover ways one can help these people out of poverty – whether through giving money or otherwise - I will present them in this blog and in my book. I believe, however, we should all give as we feel led, regardless of religious beliefs. When I go to write this book, my last desire is to produce a feeling of judgment in anyone. I want people to feel moved, not assaulted.

For those who believe in the power of Godly prayer, please keep me and my wife, Carissa (who is sadly not going with me) in your prayers. I have faith that God will provide, but I also know that if I'm doing what He wants, I will face opposition from the spiritual realm. I have included a link to a Paypal account if you wish to donate financially to this endeavor, but this is the first and last time I will actually mention it... probably.

Thank you for reading this. I look forward to having less-calculated blog entries, and more raw from-the-frontlines material in the coming days!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, dude. I hope you're better than me about keeping a blog, 'cause I want to keep reading about how it's all going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dylan, I am encouraged that you are following the lead of God and looking to write about the lives of those who are homeless and impoverished. Even by just reading your blog, I can tell you are a talented writer, and I believe God is going to do great things through you in this journey.

    My interests as a philisophical, political, and Christian student would be to read about these people's philosophies in life. Do they want help, and what type of help do they feel is best for them? Maybe ask yourself through the experiences what is the best way for anyone (including Christians) to help people in poverty. Additionally, do some of the people you meet believe that they are entitled to receive help? Do some of the people believe that they should mostly be helping themselves and what are they practically doing with that goal in mind?

    Those are my thoughts, but if God leads you in other directions, listen to Him, not me.

    ReplyDelete