Monday, April 11, 2011

Portland - in brief

Hello friends. I'm tired and confused and already homesick, but I felt the need to post something today. It won't be the most well-constructed blog post, but I hope it will bless you, regardless.

To say that today didn't go how I expected is putting it lightly. Those who have read my first entry know what I want to do: get the story (or stories) of people experiencing poverty, then, with the people's permission, take their pictures. It's not a difficult task, per say, but I understand that the Lord needs to give me favor in their eyes because I'm entering their culture as a complete foreigner.

Here's what I knew coming in to today: I was going to a sort-of, kind-of church called Home PDX in downtown Portland. They feed those living on the streets, provide them with basic needs like a clean pair of socks or some deodorant, and most importantly, they try and provide a sense of love and community to those who may have forgotten what it's like to be a part of anything. So I knew all that going in, but once I arrived, I was wonderfully stunned: there was a three-minute mini-sermon, no worship, and only a prayer blessing the meal, but it felt like Jesus would have been right at home there. Ken, the leader of Home PDX, and his wonderful crew who call themselves "Team America" (yes, after the movie) really bless the homeless community by providing this service. For about three hours, I watched as about 100+ people from the streets sit with one another, talking, laughing, and fellowshiping. There was no animosity or hatred among them. I can't say there was complete and total agape Christian love, either, but it seemed to be understood among them that Home PDX is a special place, and the people who run it, special people. What's more, Team America views those living on the streets as beautiful people, loved by God. The Team doesn't think of themselves as better or worse: they believe that everyone is loved by God the same, and so, sharing that love is essential. I didn't exactly feel in my element while I was there, but I'm certainly glad to have witnessed it.

I'm sad and disappointed that I didn't ask for permission to take pictures. From what I found out from Terris the following day, I wouldn't have been allowed to anyway, but I could have at least asked. Nevertheless, I'd like to give a feel for the location of Home PDX. They meet in downtown Portland in the basement of another church, Grace Bible Church. From the outside, the GBC building looks antique, but solidly built. (look up picture of GBC on Google). If I'm remembering correctly, I believe I saw a placard on the front of the church that read 1911. While the outside seemed timeless and well-constructed, the basement certainly looked like a dingy church basement from that venerable decade, the Seventies. Off-white paint rang true on the walls, along with your typical blue-grey stapled carpeting and fluorescent lighting. The homeless sat at circular cafteria-style tables in the middle of the basement, and when those tables were filled, chairs were placed on the outskirts. It was a tight squeeze, to be sure, but as I stated before, the atmosphere was inviting and safe, not claustrophobic.

So did I talk with any folk from the street? No, actually. For whatever reason – timing, busyness, etc. - I was never introduced to anyone. I would have been more bummed, if I wasn't busy making friends with a man named Ryan. I'm not sure what caused him to approach me, but I genuinely loved talking to him. I believe he was doing some form of internship at Home PDX for his master's degree in theological studies, but I can't exactly say why he was there.At his core, he's a soft-spoken, kind-hearted man, just trying to support his family and make an impact on the community. He's married, has a three-week old child, and a large amount of student debt. He's like any of us, filled with internal struggle about what direction his life will go. His time is mostly taken up with school and family. While he has a place to rest his head, he's far from well-off. Despite him not being the person I expected to talk with, I definitely feel like meeting with him was a divine appointment. In my life, I've found that if I hit it off with people on the first meeting, then God is definitely behind it. I hope to see him again, and Ryan, if you're reading this and you see any wrong information that I've disclosed, please let me know!

Tomorrow, I'm going to talk with a man who's living on the street, and then leave to go to Kansas City, Missouri by Greyhound. I'm not exactly sure what I'll find there, but I definitely feel God's leading. Thanks to those of you who have already donated! It means so much to me during this time of uncertainty.

Expect more frequent, detailed blog posts as time goes on. I'm still learning, so bear with me! Also, if anyone has any suggestions about how to improve this blog, feel free.


Cheers,

Dylan

4 comments:

  1. Keep at it, man! Follow the lead of the Holy Spirit and you'll learn more than you expect and in different ways than you would expect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need help finding a church home or recovery centers in KC let me know. I have relatives that live out that way that could pass on suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Boaz! I appreciate your support.

    Krystal, thank you for that. I may take you up on it. Feel free to e-mail me at shubwoofah@juno.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, Dylan! I'd say I'm sorry Portland didn't go as you expected, but it sounds like whatever happened was God's plan, so I can't really get bummed about that.
    Glad you had a unique experience, and I hope it helps prepare you for what's coming next. Thanks for keeping us posted!

    ReplyDelete